This is a scary reason why you should never leave a bottled water in your car. A battery technician from Idaho Power shared his scary experience when he put a bottled water inside his truck and noticed smoke coming from beneath the console of his truck.
Here was taking a little bit early lunch and sitting in the truck. Happened to notice some smoke out of the corner of my eye and looked over and noticed that light was being refracted through a water bottle and was starting to catch the seat on fire.
The evidence shows how dangerous leaving a plastic bottle in one’s car on sunny day can be. Water bottle was set exactly like light was just shining through the driver’s side window and shone right through and burn those two spots in the seat right there.
A round plastic bottle filled with clear water can act as a lens to develop a focused beam of sunlight that can actually cause a fire. The risk of such a disaster occurring is low.
But officials say taking your water bottle with you when exiting the car is the best way to prevent this type of car fire. Not something you really expect. Having a water bottle catch your chair on fire. So, be careful car users.