A domain name is the address for your own website or blog, just like the address of your house. At the Internet world, it is called a domain name; except the address will look something like this:
http:// (HyperText Transfer Protocol) followed by your own website URL.
Why you need to have your own domain name?
- By having your own domain name, you can:
- Make your own BRAND.
- Have your very own professional website.
- Have a more easy to remember and shorter URL address.
- Customize what ever styles you want for your blogsite.
- Sell it later (Some people sell domain for profit, check out here).
- Reduce internal links by sharing the domain name with others, better SEO.
(Search Engine Optimization- higher ranking in search engine results)
(If you are using free blogging services before such as blogger.com/ wordpress.com, there will be a share of “.blogspot.com” or “.wordpress.com”)
How to choose your own best domain name?
A best domain name normally comes with shorter, easy to remember keyword or phrase, try not to use dash or underscore. Most importantly, make sure your domain name makes sense to your target market. There will be domain choices of .net, .org, .us, etc… but recommend using “.com”
You can try the Free Keyword suggestion tool by WordTracker or read my previous article on Free Domain Name Generator -Bust A Name.