Each speech that you delivered could give impact to your listeners. But what’re you going to do when someone wants you to give a speech suddenly in front of the audiences? If you have no ideas on what to speak at that moment, you would be surprised that people would have negative thinking and speak badly about you because you don’t know how to speak well. Don’t worry, here are some tips to guide you.
Image via Christophe Verdier
An immediate speech is known as impromptu speech. Normally, an impromptu speech is unexpected and so delivered without any preparations. Therefore, you will need to think clearly, analyse the situation quickly, speak briefly and make sure you get to the point directly. The most used impromptu speeches are related to special occasion, courtesy speeches like as welcomes & introductions, acknowledgments, etc.
When you deliver an impromptu speech, try to use the following style of presentation.
- Indicate the reason for the speech in a clear manner.
- Explain how you speech is relevance to the organization/ audience.
- Conclude your speech with few characteristics of the individual or organization receiving the recognition.
Many successfully speakers used the following PREP formula method to prepare for their impromptu speech.
- P stands for the main point
- R stands for the reason for the speech
- E stands for the example to illustrate the main point
- P stands for restating the main point
By practicing this formula, both speaker and audience can easily get the main point to understand quickly.