Hokkaido Cupcake is very popular in Japan and has been selling very well in cake shops around the world nowadays. This type of cake is actually a normal chiffon cake made into small cup cakes, filled with whipped cream, decorated with icing sugar and fresh fruits. Great desserts in most coffee houses.
Here I used New Zealand Zespri kiwi fruits (Green and SunGold) as topping. If you can make chiffon cake, you can definitely make these Hokkaido Cupcakes.
Japan Hokkaido Cupcakes (Recipes)
- INGREDIENTS A
80g self-raising flour, sifted
40g caster sugar
6 egg yolks
60ml orange juice
1 tsp grated orange rind
60ml corn oil
- INGREDIENTS B
6 egg whites
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
70g caster sugar
200g whipping cream
2 tbsp icing sugar
strawberries, kiwi fruits, grapes, lemon, etc.
Japan Hokkaido Cupcake Making Method:
- Put INGREDIENTS A into a mixing bowl, stir them in one direction till well combined.
- Whisk egg whites with cream of tartar till foamy, add caster sugar slowly and whisk till stiff.
- Mix 1/3 stiff egg whites into A mixture and mix well. Pour A mixture into the remaining egg whites and stir lightly till well combined.
- Spoon cake mixture into paper cups till 80% full. Bake in a pre-heated oven using 160 degree Celsius till cooked and golden brown, about 20-25 minutes. Remove and leave to cool.
- Whisk whipping cream till stiff. Put into a piping bag fitted with a round nozzle. Push nozzle into the center of cake and pipe cream inside till full. (Please note that you will need to pipe in the whipped cream as soon as the cupcakes have cooled down. This is to prevent them from shrinking.)
- Sprinkle top with a icing sugar, arrange sliced kiwi on top as decoration. Chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour before serving.